This is it, the first anniversary show of Jubilee. As talked about on last week’s show. It’s so jam packed with favorites from the year, there’s almost no time for extra chatter.
1. Ernie Whitman gives a big intro for Duke Ellington. He plays, and the vocalist sings, Get Hep With Yourself. 2. The Lou Mel Morgan Trio sings, Blues in the Night.
3. Louis Armstrong sings, Lazy River.
4. Lena Horne sings, Honeysuckle Rose.
5. Rochester spoofs a line from Blues in the night, then jokes around a tiny bit with Ernie, who reminds listeners how to write in.
6. Cab Calloway sings, Don’t Get Around Much Anymore.
7. Louis Jordan plays and sings, Pistol Packing Mama.
8. The Queen of All Blues sings, St Louis Blues. (Although if she is announced with her name, I didn’t quite catch it.)
9. The Mills Brothers sing, Paper Doll.
10. Trumpeter Freddie James plays. (It’s just a few bars though, since the show runs out of time.)
Rochester is back to help Ernie close the show.
Note, the intro was for an award event that was a couple years ago. The award is held every year, but this year the voting has already ended. Yeah, I know, you were just going to go there and put in your vote for me. Thanks for the thought, but there’s always next year.