Exploring the family members in this complex family. Who are they, and how are they related to each other? This episode from 1949, som 18 years after the show has been on the air presents a road map in figuring it all out. Here’s ,my own notes on this “One Mans Family”.
A series from Carleton E Morse. Instead of his usual high adventure of world travelling heros, Carlton E Morse focuses on domestic drama and adventure.
Dedicated to the mothers and fathers of the younger generation, and their bewildering offspring.
Story arcs are seperated into books and chapters, with a segment of opening introduction words at the beginning of each book.
The Barber family. Located at Seacliff ranch, on San Fransisco Bay. The Sky ranch being Nick and Claudia’s home, located down the road a few vblocks. 40 miles up the coast. Also the summer home of the clan.
Ken Carpenter. Announcer.
- Pa Henry Barber. Retired stock and bond broker, staunch believer in family values, and owner of green thumb. Not so well with livestock. Provided a Puritanical, Victorian ethic based home.
- Ma Fanny Barber. Henry’s wife. Both she and Henry were last of their family lines when they got married.
- Paul Barber. eldest Son of Fanny and Henry. Vet of WW1 as a flier, Married a Red Cross nurse while recovering from being shot down, and lost wife shortly after the war. Never remarried. Lives in the family town home alone since adopted daughter Teddy left to be an army nurse. Works at the airport, and sometimes special agent for the government. ?Deep, but sometimes brooding and aloof with family.
- Clifford Barber. Twin to Claudia. Dad to Skippy. Married twice, and lost both wives. With twin Claudia, something of rebels for their generation. First wife Ann Waite, and mom to Skip, hated marriage and left him. Second wife, , Irene died at some point in the marriage. Had an accident in 1938 after his first wife left him, and before he knew about his son to be. In 1949 had a second accident, and woke from the coma thinking he was back in 1938. Regrets the lost years with his son, and forgetting Irene is his second wife.
- Hazel (Barber) Murray. eldest Daughter of Ma and Pa Barber. Mother to twin boys, Pinky and Hank, and daughter Margret. Younger sister to Paul. Dan Murray is her second husband.
- Jack Barber. son of Ma and Pa Barber. Married to Betty. Father to Elizabeth Sharon Ann, Janie, Mary Lou, and triplets: Abbie, Deborah, and Constance. Was secretly married in last year of law school. In the Army in real life, and in the Marines on the show during WW2. Left for service as second child was coming into the show. After the war became a lawyer.
- Claudia (Barber) Lacey. Married to Nick Lacey, a Brittish man. daughter of Ma and Pa Barber. Mother to Joan, and two others. Twin to Cliff Barber. Mom to Penelope. With twin Cliff, something of a rebel for their generation, but settled down after being married. First husband was Johnny Roberts, died in airplane crash, Joan born after his death. Recieved inheritqance from first marriage.
Additional cast added over the years.
- Betty Barber. Jack’s wife. Mother to Elizabeth, and two other daughters. Later triplet girls.
- Teddy (Laughton) Barber. adopted daughter of Paul Barber. In war years went to nurses school, and spent two post war years in Germany, and off the show. Coming back at least briefly early in 1948.
- Irene Barber. second wife of Cliff. Mother of Skip. Died at some point of natural causes.
- Dan Murray. Eventual husband of Hazel.
- Nicolette. A secret agent on mission with Paul to locate a Red Cross nurse, Patricia Baldwin.
- Nick Lacey. Brittish Husband of Claudia. Well off financially.
- Pinky. Son of Hazel. Twin of Hank. As a teenager, worked as a cook in a lumber camp in Northern California.
- Hank. son of Hazel. Twin of Pinky.
- Joan. daughter of Claudia. Something of a rebel, an emotional teen. Not knowing her real dad, is something of a emotional rival for mom, Claudia. Affectionate, but in need of father figure to love. As a teen, worked at the airport in town with her uncle Paul.
- Margret. Hazel’s daughter. Has her grandpa wrapped around her little finger.
- Andy “Skippy” Barber. Son to Cliff and first wife Ann.
- Jeddiah X Barber. Eccentric cousin of the family. Endering, laughable, and irritating relative. Always calls Henry Barber, Hank, to his annoyance. Appearing at least for the winter shows around Christmas 1947. Played by Clarence Hartzel, and an excuse to bring uncle Fletcher over from the Vic and Sade show.
Ozzie Nelson 1931 Dream a Little Dream of Me.