Dateline, January 18:
- 1919 the paris peace conference opens in versailles
- 1941 brittish troops launch a counter offensive against italian north africa.
- 1943 the warsaw uprising. jews in the warsaw ghetto rise up for the first time.
- 1944 soviet forces liberate leningrad, affectingly lifting the nazi siege known as the siege of leningrad.
- 1944 the metropolitan opera house held it’s first ever jazz concert. performers include: louis armstrong, lionel hampton, benny goodman, artie shaw, roy aldrich and jack teagarden.
Detai ls provided by TodayInHistory.com