Dateline, January 17:
- 1917 the united states pays denmark 25 milliomn dollars for the virgin islands.
- 1929 popey the sailor man first appears in the thimble theater comic strip.
- 1945 the soviets capture the nearly destroyed city of warsaw. nazi forces begin the evacuation of auschwitz concentration camp as soviet forces move in.
- 1949 the goldbergs first airs, the first sit com on television.
- 1950 the great brinks robbery. 11 thieves steal more than 2 million dollars from an armored car company.
- 1961 president dwight eisenhower gives his televised, farewell speech to the nation, and warns of the danger in the build up of the military industrial complex.
Details provided by TodayInHistory.com